Development and evaluation of a variably saturated flow model in the global E3SM Land Model.
Improving global-scale model representations of near-surface soil moisture and groundwater hydrology is important for accurately simulating terrestrial processes and predicting climate change effects on water resources. Yet, most existing land surface models routinely employ different formulations for water transport in the near-surface unsaturated and deeper saturated zones. In this work, we developed the Variably Saturated Flow Model (VSFM) in ELMv1 to unify the treatment of soil hydrologic processes in the unsaturated and saturated zones. Drainage parameterization of the ELMv1-VSFM was calibrated to match an observationally-constrained and spatially-explicit global water table depth (WTD) product.
Comparison with predictions using the default drainage parameter value demonstrated that calibration significantly improved predictions, primarily by allowing much deeper WTDs. Model evaluation using the International Land Model Benchmarking (ILAMB) package showed that improvements in WTD predictions did not degrade model skill for any other metrics.
A recent review of hydrologic processes in current generation land surface models identified inclusion of a variably saturated subsurface flow model as an important requirement for improving simulation of coupled soil moisture and shallow groundwater dynamics. In this work, DOE researchers developed an isothermal, single phase, one-dimensional, variably-saturated flow model in ELM. They used the PETSc library to provide numerically robust solutions to the nonlinear discretized equations of VSFM. The new model was tested on three benchmark problems and results were evaluated against observations and an existing benchmark model.
The ELMv1-VSFM’s subsurface drainage parameter, fd, was calibrated to match an observationally-constrained and spatially-explicit global WTD product. Optimal spatially-explicit fd values were obtained for 79% of global 1.90 × 2.50 gridcells, while the remaining 21% of global gridcells had predicted WTD deeper than the observationally-constrained estimate. Comparison with predictions using the default fd value demonstrated that calibration significantly improved predictions, primarily by allowing much deeper WTDs. The modular software design of VSFM not only provides flexibility to configure the model for a range of problem setups, but also allows building the model independently of the ELM code, thus enabling straightforward testing of model’s physics against other models.
Contacts (BER PM)
Department of Energy, Office of Science, Biological and Environmental Research
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
William J. Riley
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
This research was supported by the Office of Science, Office of Biological and Environmental Research of the US Department of Energy under contract no. DE-AC02-05CH11231 as part of the Energy Exascale Earth System Model (E3SM) programs.
Bisht, G., W.J. Riley, G.E. Hammond, D.M. Lorenzetti. “Development and evaluation of a variably saturated flow model in the global E3SM Land Model (ELM) Version 1.0.” Geosci. Model Dev. 11, 4085-4102 (2018). [DOI: 10.5194/gmd-11-4085-2018]
Article is here: Development and evaluation of a variably saturated flow model in the global E3SM Land Model (ELM) version 1.0
SC-23.1 Climate and Environmental Sciences Division, BER
BER supports basic research and scientific user facilities to advance DOE missions in energy and environment. More about BER
May 10, 2019
Quantifying Decision Uncertainty in Water Management via a Coupled Agent-Based Model
Considering risk perception can improve the representation of human decision-making processes in age [more...]
May 09, 2019
Projecting Global Urban Area Growth Through 2100 Based on Historical Time Series Data and Future Scenarios
Study provides country-specific urban area growth models and the first dataset on country-level urba [more...]
May 05, 2019
Calibrating Building Energy Demand Models to Refine Long-Term Energy Planning
A new, flexible calibration approach improved model accuracy in capturing year-to-year changes in bu [more...]
May 03, 2019
Calibration and Uncertainty Analysis of Demeter for Better Downscaling of Global Land Use and Land Cover Projections
Researchers improved the Demeter model’s performance by calibrating key parameters and establi [more...]
Apr 22, 2019
Representation of U.S. Warm Temperature Extremes in Global Climate Model Ensembles
Representation of warm temperature events varies considerably among global climate models, which has [more...]
List all highlights (possible long download time)